A position as a Technical Writer/Editor or Speaker/Trainer, using my organizational and interpersonal skills, and my education and teaching experience.
My experience and education encompass counseling, special education, media and public relations, writing and editing, and project planning. I can multitask, write and speak clearly, and work effectively with a wide range of individuals both within the employing organization and in the public.
Associate Editor, Journal of Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies, Doctorate in Educational Leadership Program, California State University, Sacramento
Substitute Special Education Teacher, Yolo County Office of Education, October 2009 to present. Taught elementary, middle school and high school students at alternative education sites in Yolo County, including Einstein Center and Juvenile Hall
Student Teacher, North Davis Elementary RSP, January to May 2011 (unpaid field placement). Worked with K-6 students in small groups
English Tutor, California State University, Sacramento, January 2006 to April 2011. Tutored college students with learning disabilities, while in a teacher preparation program
School Counselor, Woodland High School, April 13 to June 4, 2010. General counselor duties, including College Prep Headquarters, proctoring tests, meeting with students individually and in groups, SST and 504 assignments, agency-wide meetings
Production Coordinator, Davis Community Television, April 2003 to December 2005. Wrote press releases, booked talent and crew for public access television shows, taught video classes. The position included extensive press and public contact
Technical Editor Intern, U.S. Geological Survey, Sacramento, September 2002 to April 2003. Responsibilities included editing and proofreading USGS journal articles and reports
English Tutor, Project Read/Mercy Housing, Sacramento, September 2002 to February 2003. Tutored children and youth K-12 in an after school program.
Alcohol, Drug and Mental Health Specialist, Yolo County Mental Health, Woodland, CA January 1998 to August 2002. Facilitated various mental health groups in day treatment program for mentally ill adults, wrote treatment plans, attended agency wide case management meetings, general office duties
Resident Manager, Women’s Alcoholism Center, San Francisco, CA. March 1992 to December 1997. Co-facilitated group counseling sessions, wrote treatment plans, gave presentations about substance abuse and addiction issues, attended case management meetings, data entry
- M.A. Counseling Psychology, JFK University, Orinda, California, June 1994
- B.A. English Literature, University of California, Davis, June 1980
- Pupil Personnel Services Credential, California State University, Sacramento, June 2000 (renewed in 2009)
- Special Education Credential in process at California State University, Sacramento
- Human Resource Management Credential, December 2011
- Applying to Ph.d programs in Education
- Chair, City of Davis Human Relations Commission
- Co-host of KDRT 95.7 radio talk show “Two Broadscasting” June 2009 to now;
- President, Toastmasters Davis, 2007-2008;
- UC Davis Dean’s Honor List;
- Editor, Mochuelo, Castilleja High School Creative Writing Magazine, and Who’s Who of American High School Students, 1975.
- Computers: Macintosh or PC Programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.
Available on request
You may download my resume in PDF format